Children’s Art, Recreation and Enrichment Services
C.A.R.E.S. Business office is located at
320 Salem Street
Wilmington, MA 01887
in the North Intermediate School
C.A.R.E.S. MAILBOX: Enter the back parking lot and our entrance is at the far end of the building near the field. Follow the pathway under a set of stairs. Our office door is the second one in marked C.A.R.E.S. Our mail box is to the right of the door. If you need to see us please ring the door bell.
WELCOME! The Wilmington Public Schools C.A.R.E.S. (Children’s Art, Recreation and Enrichment Services) provides children with a “home away from home” environment with an emphasis on the needs of each individual child. The program was expanded to each of our schools for the primary purpose of providing a safe environment for our youth during out-of-school time. This safe, caring environment offers activities, which are designed to promote an individual child’s physical, intellectual, emotional and social well-being and growth. The program comprises a range of activities, including outdoor play, arts and crafts, library time, cooking, movies, free play, computers, board games and puzzles. Children may also read a book, finish homework (grades 1-5), or simply enjoy quiet time under the supervision of our qualified staff.
PHILOSOPHY: This non-academic part of a child’s day is crucial to his/her social and emotional development. Self-confidence, self-respect and self-definition are encouraged. Making choices, developing responsibilities, learning to express his/her needs and building friendships are important to a child’s development.
ENROLLMENT: We serve approximately 120 children each day in our before-school program and 270 after school each day.
HEALTH CARE CONSULTANT: Our health care consultant is Doreen Crowe, RN, BSN. She is available to provide consultation and on-going training for our staff on specific medical issues. She is also available to visit the sites on an on-call basis. We are fotunate to also have a full-time nurse, Danielle Robarge, dedicated to the CARES program that travels from site to site. In addition, most staff is ceritified in First Aid and CPR ; many are epi-pen trained, as well. In an emergency, we will call 911. Vacation programs are staffed with nurses based on availability. There may not be a nurse on site during all program hours. If this is a concern for you, please consult with our nursing staff at (978)815-1510.
COMMENTS: If you have any comments or suggestions, please send them to the CARES .
The Wilmington Public Schools offers various programs throughout the year. Our goal is to offer programs which will accommodate the schedules of working families. Please contact CARES for information about the programs listed below:
- Before-School C.A.R.E.S. – Opens at 6:45 a.m. until the beginning of the school day. This program is held at each elementary site.
- After-School C.A.R.E.S. – Opens at the close of school until 5:45 p.m. This program is held at each elementary site.
- Vacation C.A.R.E.S. – These programs are offered during the February and April school vacations and are held at the one site, which is announced when enrollment forms are available.
- Summer C.A.R.E.S. – Offered each summer at the close of school until late August. This program is held at one school, which is announced when enrollment forms are available.
- Breakfast is provided at the before school program and a snack and drink are offered in the after school program.