No School and Delayed Opening Information
The Decision-Making Process
Whenever possible, the Superintendent will make a determination between approximately 5:00 and 5:30 a.m. as to whether district operations might need to be cancelled or delayed. This will be based upon a review of conditions and/or recommendations by local or state officials.
Information regarding a decision that leads to either the closure or delay of school will be announced through the following means:
- District website
- Connect5 (automated system that places calls/texts to home and cell phone numbers)
- Superintendent’s Twitter Account @SuperWPS
- Local media including WHDH (Channels 7 & 56); WBZ & CBS Boston; WCVB (Channel 5); Fox 25; NECN and WRKO (Channels 7 & 56)
If extra time is deemed necessary to safely clear roads and sidewalks, then a decision will be made to shorten the day through a “Delayed-Opening.” Once this decision is made, then generally a “2-Hour” Delayed-Opening will be announced.
Under such conditions then the following will apply:
- Transportation will begin their schedules and pick-up times as close to the delayed time of opening as possible.
- Schools will be dismissed at their regular times.
- Meal service will take place in the cafeteria.
- Preschool a.m. sessions will be cancelled.
- All before-school programs will be cancelled, but all after-school activities and programs will operate under their normal schedule, unless otherwise noted.
- The morning session of CARES will be cancelled, but afternoon sessions will operate on a normal schedule.
If the decision is made to cancel school for the day a “No School” announcement will be made and all schools and programs within the Wilmington Public Schools will be closed. The automated communication system will be used that will contact home phones, cell phones and emails provided by parents/guardians.
If a “No School” decision is made then the following will apply:
- All classes Prek-12 and school activities will be canceled for the day. This will include all before and after school activities, sports and extra-curricular events.
- All after school and evening meetings will be cancelled, unless otherwise noted.
- All CARES programs will be cancelled.
- Transportation of students to out-of-district schools will be cancelled when the Wilmington Public Schools are closed.
Under certain circumstances the district may need to pursue an “Early Release” that results in ending school earlier than usual. During these circumstances the following will apply:
- All classes Prek-12 and school activities will end earlier than the usual dismissal.
- If the school dismissal is scheduled and planned for ahead of time, all after-school and evening meetings may occur as planned, unless otherwise noted.
- On emergency or weather-related early release days, CARES hours may be affected per the Superintendent’s discretion and further information will be provided as part of the early release notification.
- Transportation of students to out-of-district schools will go by the schedule of the school they attend.