WELCOME! The Wilmington Public Schools C.A.R.E.S. (Children’s Art, Recreation and Enrichment Services) provides children with a fun and enriching out-of-school experience. We focus on creating an environment that supports the needs of each individual child. The program was expanded to each of our schools for the primary purpose of providing a safe environment for our youth during out-of-school time. This safe, caring environment offers activities, which are designed to promote an individual child’s physical, intellectual, emotional and social well-being and growth. The program comprises a range of activities, including outdoor play, arts and crafts, library time, cooking, movies, free play, computers, board games and puzzles. Children may also read a book, finish homework (grades 1-5), or simply enjoy quiet time under the supervision of our qualified staff.
PHILOSOPHY: This non-academic part of a child’s day is crucial to his/her social and emotional development. Self-confidence, self-respect and self-definition are encouraged. Making choices, developing responsibilities, learning to express his/her needs and building friendships are important to a child’s development.
ENROLLMENT: We serve approximately 200 children each day in our before-school program and 450 after school each day.
HEALTH CARE CONSULTANT: Our health care consultant is Doreen Crowe, RN, BSN. She is available to provide consultation and on-going training for our staff on specific medical issues. She is also available to visit the sites on an on-call basis. We are fortunate to also have a nurse dedicated to the CARES program that may have the ability to travel from site to site. In addition, most staff is ceritified in First Aid and CPR ; many are epi-pen trained, as well. In an emergency, we will call 911. Vacation programs are staffed with nurses based on availability. There may not be a nurse on site during all program hours. If this is a concern for you, please consult with our nursing staff at (978)815-1510.
COMMENTS: If you have any comments or suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The Wilmington Public Schools offers various programs throughout the year. Our goal is to offer programs which will accommodate the schedules of working families. CARES Before and After School Programs (school days) is for children attending Wilmington Public Schools, and takes place at the school building in which they attend. Vacation and Summer Programs are at a centralized location, and all Wilmington residents are eligible to attend (age requirements apply). There is a 2 day minimum required to enroll (School year CARES).
Please contact the CARES Office for information about the programs listed below:
- Before-School C.A.R.E.S. – Opens at 6:45 a.m. until the beginning of the school day. This program is held at each elementary site.
- After-School C.A.R.E.S. – Opens at the close of school until 5:45 p.m. This program is held at each elementary site.
- Vacation C.A.R.E.S. – These programs are offered during the February and April school vacations and are held at the one site, which is announced when enrollment forms are available.
- Summer C.A.R.E.S. – Offered each summer at the close of school until late August. This program is held at one school, which is announced when enrollment forms are available.
- BOKS - before school nutrition and physical activity program. There are 2 sessions (Winter & Spring) at the elementary and intermediate schools.
- ACE - (Afterschool Clubs & Enrichment) for all Wilmington Middle School students. There are 3 sessions (Fall, Winter & Spring) with a variety of clubs offered on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons.